Strasburg Heritage Association

Strasburg, Virginia

Presbyterian Church - South Holliday


325 S. Holliday St.
July 20, 2011, will be remembered by many area residents as the day the Strasburg Presbyterian Church burned. The devastating fire that day left the educational wing of the church gutted, while the sanctuary was heavily damaged by smoke and water. Today, however, Strasburg Presbyterian is fully restored, beautifully updated and open for business.

Organized in May 1824 as the Union Church of Shenandoah by the Reverend William Henry Foote, D.D., author of "Foote's Sketches of Virginia", the lot upon which it was built was deeded by Isaac Longacre to Anthony Spengler in 1827, and the building was dedicated May 16, 1830. In 1926 a two-storied educational facility with basement was added. The church is now an official American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site. It is the oldest brick church ever constructed in Strasburg. During the Civil War the sanctuary was used as a hospital for the wounded and dying for both Union and Confederate soldiers following the battles of Cedar Creek and Fishers Hill. A twenty-foot tall obelisk in the cemetery marks the remains of 136 Confederate dead.

The Sanctuary of Strasburg Presbyterian Church has been restored to its former simple beauty. The pews date to just after the Civil War and the current organ dates from 1920. The fellowship hall has been wonderfully restored with the addition of large windows overlooking the cemetery and Signal Knob, and a modern well-equipped kitchen. Some interior walls on the second floor have been removed to provide space and light for the new offices, nursery, crafts and meeting rooms. A new kitchenette provides convenience. At the back of the educational building a small wing has been added which includes a rear entrance, two handicapped access bathrooms and an elevator.

All but the basement of the church will be open for viewing.

Refreshments will be served in the open meeting room on the second floor.