Strasburg Heritage Association

Strasburg, Virginia

Vintage Area Photos - Page 1 | Page 2| Page 3

Page 01


Looking East on King Street. The Town Run (Water Street) is located just East of the Chris Funk house. The Spangler house ins the first building on the right hand side of the street. The third house on the right was the Chris Funk house. The fourth building on the right was Brill's Grocery. The first three buildings on the right side have been torn down and the Town Office building and parking lot are on this site. King (Main) Street, Strasburg, VA






King (Main Street), Strasburg VA 1902 - Picture appears to have been taken from the Shenando Building looing West onto King Street. The intersection of Holliday and King is indicated by the walkways that protrude into the street. The Zea house is located on the left corner of the intersection of Holliday and King and faces Holliday Street. It was an early store, Zea & Pirkey. John Pirkey was an early (late 1800's) minister at the Strasburg Christian Church. The Zea store was later located across King Street opposite the Zea house. The house across Holliday Street opposite the Zea house was known as the Rogers house. The town well was located on the town square in front of the Zea house.


Picture of East King Street, Strasburg, VA looking West from a site near the present day Fire Department. It appears that the Shenando Building was not yet built which would date the picture to 1905. The Grove building (the larger building of three stores in the left side of the picture) once served as the site of the Strasburg Post Office. Many of the buildings in the picture are still standing on King Street in Strasburg as of 2006




The picture was taken looking West on King Street near the intersection of King and Depot(Fort) Streets. The building on the right hand side of the street was once called Central House. The Central House was constructed in 1853 by Samuel H. Sonner. It was used as a hotel and residence and over the years offices were rented. A dentist office operated by Dr. Maphis was located there at one time. Early pictures of the building are without the porch as shown here. All buildings visible in the picture are still standing as of 2006. King (Main) Street, Strasburg, VA

Looking East on King Street. The brick house on the right side of the street was owned by Dr. White. The next house on that side was the Zea house. The Strasburg Post Office was probably still located in the Shenando Building at this time. This picture was likely taken just prior to 1920. The brick house on the left was torn down and the Post Office was built on that site. The third building on the left was the original Massanutten Bank building. King (Main) Street, Strasburg, VA.
Strasburg, VA 1950