The Harmon Home
316 E. Brown Street
Built in 1898, this home was originally owned by the Stover family. The widowed Rosa M. Stover sold the home to John K. and Virgie M.
Chandler in 1923, but its' longest and bestknown residents were Sam and Juanita Artz.
The Artz's bought the home from Mrs. Chandler in 1957, and raised their family there.
In 1999 the Artzs sold the home to current residents, Kathleen and Michael Harmon.
All through the years the house has retained its original pine floors, wainscoting, and fireplace surrounds as well as built-in bookcases in the family room and a built-in china cabinet with glass-paned doors in the dining room.
The Harmons have furnished the home with a variety of antiques and collectibles. Michael Harmon's grandfather's circa 1900 Grandfather clock stands next to the fireplace in the formal living room. Michael's grandfather bought the clock on credit in North Carolina and paid 25 cents a month until it was paid for. A circa 1750 cherry dining table graces the dining room along with a 19th century jelly cupboard. Other collections include Eberly and Strasburg saltglazed pottery, Flow-blue china plates, old Christmas tins, and antique cookie cutters.
Featured among the Christmas decorations are an early artificial 6 foot goose-feather tree and three genuine goose-feather table-top trees in various other rooms of the house. Mrs. Harmon learned of goose-feather trees through her membership in the "Golden Glow of Christmas Past" collector's club. The first artificial tree in America, the goose feather tree was introduced by Marshall Field & Co. in 1912. The Harmon's tree is decorated with real candles and wooden ornaments from Germany.